Can I see a chiropractor during my pregnancy?David
Hi! I’m back again to add to my previous blog post, five stretches for pregnancy.
As discussed in my last blog, your body undergoes many changes that can put pressure on the pelvis and spine.
- Your center of gravity shifts forward, increasing the natural curves in the back.
- As breasts enlarge, increasing the weight that your shoulders need to carry. Enlarged breasts cause rounding in the middle of your back and may result in extra tension on the neck.
- The ligaments and muscles around the pelvis begin to relax, putting additional stress on the surrounding joints and nerves, which may cause sciatica.
Low back pain and upper back tension are common complaints during pregnancy. This is due mainly to the forward shift in the body’s center of gravity. Chiropractic care can help to alleviate these aches and strains to make your pregnancy easier, relieving tension on stiff areas and tight muscles.
Chiropractic not only can ease these aches and pains, but it can also improve the overall function of your pelvis and spine during childbearing (1). Chiropractic can make life significantly more comfortable throughout the pregnancy!
One question I get asked regularly in practice:
IS CHIROPRACTIC CARE SAFE DURING MY PREGNANCY?
Chiropractic care during pregnancy is safe (2). At My Sports Chiropractor, all the necessary precautions before starting treatment. We will ask appropriate questions regarding your pregnancy. And we will also perform safety tests to make sure we can proceed with treatment.If you have received chiropractic treatment before pregnancy, much of the techniques implemented may be familiar and even remain the same in the first few months. And as you progress through your pregnancy and your baby grows, our treatment methods will be modified to suit you and your body’s needs.
Treatment during pregnancy typically involve:
- Massaging tight muscles around the hips, legs, and back.
- Gentle stretches to load-bearing muscles
- Joint mobilizations and spinal adjustments where necessary.
- Exercises to aid in promoting optimal birthing positions
As well as the manual therapy received in the treatment room, you may also be given advice and stretches to do when at home to complement the treatment.
Now that you have more information regarding chiropractic care during your pregnancy, please don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions. No one wants to be in constant pain. Better health is only a call away.
You can book an appointment online by clicking here or call our practice on 0435819286.
1. Borggren, Pregnancy and chiropractic: a narrative review of the literature, J Chiropractic Medicine. 2007 Spring; 6(2): 70–74.
2. Shaw G. When to adjust: chiropractic and pregnancy. J Am Chiropr Assoc 2003;40(11):8 – 16.